Home Ownership Counseling
Purpose: STEP Housing Counseling Services is dedicated to the development and improvement of homeownership opportunities and preservation, and personal financial management in partnership with families, neighborhoods and local service providers.
Vision: Together with families, neighborhoods and local service providers, sustainable, affordable, and safe housing options are supported in conjunction with sound personal financial management strategies, resulting in social and economic success.
Program Overview – As part of the STEP Pathway of Housing Options, Housing Counseling Services offer strategies targeted at supporting successful home ownership and maintenance to the residents of Lycoming, Clinton, Centre, Union, Snyder, Montour, & Northumberland Counties.
The focus of the services is to provide tools to potential homeowners so that they may become successful homeowners and to current homeowners so that they successfully maintain their homes. The services include education regarding the process and the responsibilities of homeownership, budgeting, credit counseling, foreclosure prevention and diversion, financial and technical assistance, property inspections, rehabilitation, and maintenance.
Housing Counseling Services is an integral partner in strategic community planning, acting as the facilitating agency for the Housing Coalition of Lycoming County.
Housing Counseling Service utilizes highly trained staff following the standards set forth by the National Housing Counselors Association and the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency.
Benchmarks of Success
- Families increase their homeownership knowledge and skills through workshops and individual counseling in order to transition from rentals to sustainable home ownership.
- Communities will experience growth through increased numbers of successful homeowners.
- Economically distressed homeowners are empowered to achieve solutions with lenders.
- Neighborhood housing values are maintained by preventing mortgage foreclosures.
- Families’ living conditions and local communities will be enhanced as a result of affordable loans to renovate and repair housing to meet codes.
- Individuals and families will gain knowledge of personal finances and develop strategies for personal spending and debt reduction plans.
Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency: www.phfa.org
Housing and Urban Development (HUD): www.hud.gov
Home Affordable Modification Program (HAMP): www.makinghomeaffordable.com
Housing Coalition of Lycoming County: www.stepcorp.org/housingcoalition
Free Credit Report: www.annualcreditreport.com